Registered Nurse - Medical Intensive Care Unit - Gainesville, Florida - ICU - Intensive Care Unit
Company: West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
Posted on: November 19, 2021
The Registered Nurse provides care and counseling of persons or in
the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of illness
and injury based upon the nursing process which includes systematic
data gathering, assessment, appropriate nursing judgment, and
evaluation of human responses to actual or potential health
problems through such services as case finding, health teaching,
health counseling; provision of care supportive to or restorative
of life and well-being; and executing medical regimens including
administering medications and treatments prescribed by a licensed
or otherwise legally authorized provider. The Registered Nurse's
primary commitment is to the patient, whether an individual,
family, group, or community (ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses).
The Registered Nurse (RN) in the intensive care unit (ICU)
functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary team to
provide healthcare to maximize the quality of life for veterans
with the critical with medical and surgical needs requiring
intensive nursing care. The RN role includes initial and ongoing
physical and psychosocial assessment/ reassessment to determine the
patients nursing care needs. The RN plays an active role in patient
concepts of health care support systems for growth, advocacy,
discharge planning and collaboration with other interdisciplinary
team members to optimize Wellness and comfort.
The RN is responsible for procedures such as, intubation,
bronchoscopy & endoscopy, bedside tracheotomy, elective
cardioversions, line placement, paracentesis and thoracentesis,
post-arrest hypothermia, prone, transesophageal echocardiogram
(TEE). The following competencies must be demonstrated: central
lines, continuous telemetry/hemodynamic monitoring/swan Ganz
catheters, balloon pumps, IV therapy including vasoactive agents,
blood transfusion & plasmapheresis, airway management with the use
of CPAP & BIPAP, mechanical ventilation, chest tubes, transvenous
and percutaneous pacing of patients, IV conscious sedation for
approved procedures, cardiac arrest response, MICU hospice care,
continuous bladder irrigation, dialysis TABLO, ECMO, and
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Responding to critical events and uses the nursing process to
evaluate the patient's condition and treat critically treat
- RN is required to be competent, understanding of practice for
care of all critically ill patients
- RN requires proficiency in the care of adult patients with
critical nursing care requirements including telemetry and
continuous cardiac monitoring
- Assists in the insertion of invasive lines such as arterial
lines Swan Ganz catheters and maintenance.
- Hemodynamic monitoring multiple vessel active drips, mechanical
- EKG rhythm strip interpretation
- Moderate sedation, post-surgical recovery and
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to provide
care in accordance with unit standards.
- Accurately documents in the medical record of patient findings,
assessments, and care provided.
- Participates in performance improvement to maintain provision
of quality care, plan patient care and assists physicians during
treatments and examinations of patients.
- Revises interdisciplinary plan of care based upon on-going
patient assessment and evaluation.
- Organizes and completes own assignments in a safe and timely
manner, assisting team members as necessary.
- Responsible for making comprehensive nursing decisions based on
the interpretation of facts and evaluations of patient outcome;
modifies the plan of care based upon the evaluations and
- Initiates referrals to other disciplines and/or services as
- Promotes, advocates for and strives to protect the health,
safety and rights of the patient.
- Safeguards patient privacy and maintains confidentiality of all
electronic and printed patient information according to HIPAA
guidelines, the Privacy Act, and as stated in the Medical Center
Memo on Information Security.
- Effectively plans patient care and nursing resources for
maximum staff productivity, staff and time efficiency, and positive
- Consults with other disciplines for post-discharge
- Participates in orientation, unit based in-services, and
mandatory education activities in a self-directed manner.
- Encourages and supports patients and families to participate in
care and decision-making at the level they choose.
- Demonstrates professional behavior and good communication
skills that enhance working effectively with others.
Work Schedule: 12 hour night shifts 1930-2000 and 12 hour day
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: May be authorized
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not Authorized
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Keywords: West Palm Beach VA Medical Center, Gainesville , Registered Nurse - Medical Intensive Care Unit - Gainesville, Florida - ICU - Intensive Care Unit, Healthcare , Gainesville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!