Company: Surgery Partners
Posted on: January 24, 2023
DescriptionJOB TITLE: Surgical Technologist
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Physician and/or Registered Nurse
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Surgical technologists, also called scrubs and surgical or
operating room technicians, assist in surgical operations under the
supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical
personnel. Surgical technologists are members of operating room
teams, which most commonly include surgeons, anesthesiologists, and
- A graduate of an accredited surgical technologist
- Must be certified to perform CPR with 0-2 years of clinical
experience in a related field.
- Prepares and maintains medical equipment for surgical
- Before an operation, surgical technologists elp prepare the
operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment,
sterile drapes, and sterile solutions.
- Follows hospital regulations and industry procedures to tend to
patient during pre-operation procedures.
- Performs pre-operation preparations to the patient's skin, body
and medical equipment.
- Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment, as well as
adjust and check it to ensure it is working properly.
- Get patients ready for surgery by washing, shaving, and
disinfecting incision sites.
- Transport patients to the operating room, help position them on
the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical
- Observe patients' vital signs, check charts, and assist the
surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and gloves.
- Pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and
- Hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles,
supplies, and instruments. Help prepare, care for, and dispose of
specimens taken for laboratory analysis and help apply
- Operate sterilizers, lights, or suction machines, and help
operate diagnostic equipment.
- After an operation, help transfer patients to the recovery room
and clean and restock the operating room.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods and lift or turn
- Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office
- Ability to concentrate for periods of up to four hours
- Ability to communicate verbally both in person and on the
- Ability to use computer keyboard and to view a computer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary
to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients in the
- Must demonstrate the knowledge of the principle of growth and
development of the life span and the posses the ability to assess
data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his/her
age specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in
the center's policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills in the nursing
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize recognized channels of
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain good interpersonal
relationships with patients, co-workers, and other health team
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting and standing associated
with a normal office environment. Surgical technologists work in
clean, well-lighted, cool environments. Must stand for long periods
and remain alert during operations. At times may be exposed to
communicable diseases and unpleasant sights, odors, and
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal busy office environment
with much telephone work. Occasional evening and/ or weekend
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for
meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills,
abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Keywords: Surgery Partners, Gainesville , Surgical Technician, Professions , Gainesville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!